"Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others." Jack Welch
- To identify, develop and motivate potential community leaders.
- To expand the leadership potential of participants through:
- Educational programs designed to broaden their knowledge of Van Wert
- Exposure to existing leadership and civic organizations
- In depth exchanges on current relevant issues.
- To improve communication amongst leaders.
- To provide a channel for participants to gain access to leadership opportunities and become involved.
- To foster a life-long commitment to community service.
- To match potential candidates with community organizations where they can serve.
Program at-a Glance
Van Wert County Leadership Program is a nine-month leadership development program that began in 1994 for a diverse group of citizens who have:
- A demonstrated ability to achieve personal goals
- Availability of time and resources for effective community service
- A demonstrated personal commitment to the community and society as a whole
- Team Initiatives & Team Building
- Change Management
- Volunteerism/Social Services/VW County History
- Conflict Resolution
- FISH! Philosophy
- Project Management
- 5S Methodology
- Ethics & Leadership
- Local Government, Industry & Facility Tours
2022 Program Sponsor: Northwest State C.C.
Individuals are sponsored by their business or organization, or may nominate themselves. Tuition for the program is $475.00 and is traditionally is paid by the participant's employer, business or sponsoring organization.
Participants are expected to make a commitment to the Van Wert County Leadership Program. Participants who miss more than two of the class days may be excused from the program. Participants are also expected to work on a community project. Absences or lack of participation in any part of the program may result in a participant leaving the program or making up absences the following year.
Community Board Participation
Participants are matched with a local community non-profit Board of Directors and will attend two board meetings and will give a brief report on their experience to the class.
What's being said about Leadership Van Wert County...
Mitch Price, Citizens National Bank
"The Leadership Program hones & perfects an individual's leadership skills. You can gain so much from the program and it really helps you become a better leader--a leader by choice. This program is a benefit and an asset to the industries and companies that select an attendee. In the end your company reaps the rewards that come of it!” -Class of 2016
Cindy Amweg, Tenneco, Inc.
“Through the Leadership Van Wert Program I have had the pleasure of meeting many great people in the community, seeing much of what Van Wert has to offer, and experiencing some very good training sessions. I enjoyed the classes very much and took away a lot of valuable lessons that I can apply in both my work and personal life in order to be a more effective leader. ” -Class of 2008
Leadership Van Wert County provides leadership development for a diverse group of citizens to enable them to effectively serve their community.
Past Program Supporters:
- Van Wert Health
- Century Trading Company
- Tecumseh Packaging Solutions
- Cowan & Son Funeral Home
- First Bank of Berne
- Purmort Brothers Insurance
- Citizen’s National Bank
- Main Street Van Wert
- Central Insurance Companies
- Shultz, Huber & Associates
- City of Van Wert
- Solid Source
- Braun Ambulances
- First Federal Savings & Loan
- Vancrest Healthcare Center
- Tenneco, Inc.
- Community Health Professionals
- Thrivent Financial
- Van Wert Manor
- Advanced Biological Marketing